Monday, July 26, 2010

Tate's Bake Shop

I've had a long love affair with Tate's. Our long distance relationship began in 90's and has only grown in strength since. Before my parent's set up shop in East Hampton, NY in 2002 my Mom used to take me for a week trip to the Hamptons in the summer. We would stay at the Ocean Dunes in Amagansett and would spend the week indulging in local food and bumming at the beach.

On the drive out, we would always stop at one of the many local farm stands to load up on fresh produce. At each register, they offered local favorites from surrounding businesses...one of which was Tate's. It was nearly impossible to pass up the fresh cookies in a cute little plastic bag. Upon first taste, I knew that these cookies were something special.

How to describe these gems...they are thin, crispy at the edges, slightly soft in the middle with chocolate chips that melt in your mouth. There is definitely plenty of butter in these puppies, you can taste the smoothness on your tongue. I find that they go best with coffee and can make a great breakfast (for those of that do not have rules against chocolate for breakfast).

Of course, it was a bummer on all levels to find out that I was gluten-free and was going to have to say goodbye to a lot of old favorites...but how was I going to survive the Hamptons without my Tate's? This summer is my first summer gluten-free and therefore my first gluten-free trip to the Hamptons. About a week before I left Chicago for one of my annual trips, I received a phone call from my Mom. No joke...Tate's, this year, has started to offer Gluten-free cookies! Unbelievable. I was in shock. What's more, they are even making gluten-free brownies as well. Please note that they are only selling these in their Southampton flagship store (not at the farm stands...yet).

One bite into a Tate's gluten-free cookie and I was in heaven. These cookies did not taste gluten-free. They tasted like the tried and true cookies I have loved all these years.

Thank you Tate's. You allowed me to keep my tradition and in turn I will continue to eat your products year in and year out.

No comments:

Post a Comment