Thursday, December 19, 2013

Flexitarian: A New Regime

At the tail end of my 3 month trial of Veganism, I finally came up with my sustainable food plan. Often during the trial I had friends and family think I was nuts. How could I possibly do this? How will I get my protein? Aren't you hungry? What the hell do you eat? All fair questions.

I have to say I was fairly devout. I really believed and still do in the benefits of being a Vegan. All that said I found one critical problem. I find all food interesting. I love watching the Food Network and I love eating at new restaurants. I was starting to feel like one of my critical passions was floating away. I could look but not touch. As an adult for sometime now (yes I know that sounds silly) I'm used to getting what I want when I want it. I'm the master of my domain. The day after Thanksgiving I had had it. I had just finished working out and I wanted eggs. Nothing could have stopped me from eating them.  And so my 100% Vegan journey ended.

Back to the plan. Identifying the problem led me to my 3 part solution:

1. Grocery shop Vegan foods for the home
2. Eat Vegetarian when eating at a restaurant
3. Eat Meat/Fish on special occasions (holidays, 3/4 star restaurants)

This allows me to intake about an 80-90% healthy diet and allows for 10-20% to feed my mind and soul.

I'm a few weeks in, so far so good.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice article with good ideas; thank you!

    I myself must reject sugar, white flour bread, soda, juice, koolaid, HFCS, vegetable oil, potato chips, white rice, white flour pasta; for sake of my health.

    I consume (as $ allow) unsweetened fortified coconut milk , vegetables, berries, fruit, whole grains, chia seeds, nuts, unsweetened bakers chocolate, eggs (yolk is most nutritious part; see www.cholesterol-and-health.com ) , virgin coconut oil, stevia extract, & some pure grade B maple syrup, some meat


    But I have friend who due to gout cannot consume spinach, nuts, organ meats, & other things. There is concern over purric acids, uric acids, purine, & big punishment if my friend eat the wrong things! Big PAIN!

    I want to help my friend!

    All advice is welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, I've found my best resource to be books. I think that The Kind Diet, My Beef with Meat, Clean Start and Vegonomicon would be a great place to start for a Vegan/Vegetarian diet with a slew of options that do not include most of the ingredients listed above. Good luck!

      Delete