Friday, January 3, 2014

Starting the New Year SPENT

In what seams like a lifetime ago, I read a book called SPENT. It was the book that changed my life. The book lead my to the discovery of my gluten allergy with an elimination diet and more importantly to a lifetime journey of nutrition and health.

It has been 4 years and 4+ months since my Spent journey and in true 201"4" fashion, I think it's time I give this reset/detox a whirl. As a reminder, the main thought on SPENT is that we as Americans are sluggish during the day and can't sleep at night.

Since Thanksgiving, I have dabbled in Vegetarianism, which is code for I allowed myself to eat dairy. And I ate meat for Christmas dinner. Although I didn't overeat over the holiday's, the trifecta of Thanksgiving/Birthday/Christmas is always wearing on the body. Throw in a slew of Christmas parties & a bum knee hindering my workouts and I just felt pickled.

Some of the main tenors of spent are:

No Alcohol

No Caffeine

No Cow's Milk Dairy

No Grains that include Gluten

Workout/Stretch/Do Yoga

Leave the electronics outside the bedroom!

I'm going to stick to my flexitarian, but I will allow myself to eat:

Any Fruit
Any Veggie
Gluten Free Grains
Honey/Maple Syrup/Agave
Goat Cheese
Eggs
Almond Milk products (ice cream, yogurt, milk)
Dark Chocolate
Vegan Thai/Indian Food

6 weeks. Here goes...




No comments:

Post a Comment